Helping Canadians Secure Compensation for Injuries in Peterborough, Lindsay & Whitby
Since opening its first office in Whitby in 1988, Miskin Law has been your personal injury law firm in Whitby, Lindsay, and Peterborough. We have been helping clients from all over Canada and especially Ontario, to file claims, fight for compensation and settle the claims or take them to trial. If you’re seeking a personal injury lawyer, it means that either you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident at no fault of their own. Not only is this time difficult physically, but it can also be challenging mentally. Thankfully, Miskin Law is here to help you file a solid claim and provide exceptional legal representation in court. We serve clients in Peterborough, Whitby, Lindsay, Ontario, and beyond, specializing in personal injury, asbestos exposure, class actions, and estate planning. Our personal injury lawyers have a wealth of experience and a strong track record of successful settlements. See what our team has to offer.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Personal injury is a very broad category that applies to all kinds of incidents. From car accidents to a fall at a local restaurant, any injury caused by another’s negligence may be classified as personal injury. The team at Miskin Law has decades of experience working with a wide variety of cases, and we’re glad to help our clients get the compensation they deserve. Here’s a brief overview of our specialties:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car accidents are all too common. Many times, they occur because of another person’s negligence. If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, talk to us about filing an Accident Benefits claim or tort claim.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists are more likely to be severely injured in an accident compared with the drivers of other vehicles. We work with accident victims, helping them file a tort claim and gain compensation.
- Bicycle Accidents: Have you been hurt in a bicycle accident? Our law firm serves victims who have been seriously injured on the road.
- Boating Accidents: Canada is home to 60% of the world’s lakes. Unfortunately, this also means boat accidents are commonplace. Allow us to represent you after a boating accident caused by another’s negligence.
- Slips & Falls: Slips and falls are among the leading causes of personal injury. Consult with a member of our team, and let us know the details of your accident. You may have a case for compensation.
- Dog Bites & Attacks: Dog owners are responsible for keeping their pets under control. If you’ve been bitten or attacked by a dog, you may have a viable claim.
- Nursing Home Negligence & Abuse: If you have a loved one who can no longer live independently, you know how stressful worrying about their wellbeing can be. Nursing facilities are often the only solution. But sometimes, nursing homes are rife with abuse. Talk to our team about filing a claim involving nursing home negligence.
- Defective Products: Manufacturers are responsible for making sure their products are safe for consumer use. However, defective products are a common cause of personal injury. If you’ve been hurt because of a dangerous product, we may be able to help.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Brain and spinal cord injuries often leave lasting impacts on victims’ lives. Because these injuries are so severe and costly, it’s important to seek compensation whenever possible. Contact Miskin Law if your loved one’s spinal cord injury occurred because of another’s negligence.
- Fatal Accidents: Wrongful death cases are about more than just monetary compensation—they also involve grief and other emotional trauma. Our team is here to help guide you through a fatal accident claim with compassion and integrity.
You Could Be Entitled to Compensation
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be entitled to compensation. Our personal injury lawyers in Toronto will work with you to determine whether you have a feasible case. In Ontario, compensation is typically classified as pecuniary or non-pecuniary. Pecuniary damages encompass the economic costs of an injury, including loss of income, hospital bills, and other quantifiable losses. Non-pecuniary damages, on the other hand, are more general non-economic losses. This includes abstract concepts like pain and suffering. Our team can help you sue for these common types of damages:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy and costs of living with a disability
- Property damage
- Loss of quality of life, opportunity, or consortium
Don’t Take on a Personal Injury Claim Alone
Navigating the Canadian legal system is complex, and that’s an understatement. Fortunately, our personal injury lawyers are here to help. We’ll ensure you don’t have to take on a claim alone. At Miskin Law, we have decades of expertise, and our team will help you expertly maneuver the intricacies of personal injury law. We’ve seen it all, and we’re glad to use our experience to make recovery easier. Consult with us today.
We Can Answer Your Personal Injury Questions
Dealing with a personal injury case can be daunting from the start, and you will likely have lots of questions about the process. Thankfully, you don’t need to handle it alone. Miskin Law is here for clients throughout the Greater Toronto Area, including Peterborough, Whitby, and Lindsay, and can answer your most pressing questions.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
Let’s start with defining personal injury law. This category, also called tort law, encompasses any wrong that results in physical or mental harm to another party. Personal injury law protects injured persons and gives them an avenue to gain compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and loss of enjoyment of life. Keep in mind that personal injury cases are subject to a statute of limitations, so it’s crucial to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
What Is a Settlement?
You’ve probably heard the term “settlement” before, but many people don’t know exactly what it entails. In short, a settlement is an agreement that ends a particular dispute and completes any resulting litigation processes. Many settlements end with a payout to the victim, but personal injury outcomes vary greatly.
How Should I Respond After an Injury?
Whether you’ve been in a car accident, suffered a slip and fall, or been bitten by a dog, getting hurt is a scary experience. There are a few steps you can take to improve your personal injury case immediately following the accident. Here’s what you can try to do if you find yourself injured because of another’s negligence:
- Get Medical Care: Before doing anything else, make sure you’re safe. Accept medical care on the scene and follow emergency responders’ advice. Be sure to follow up with medical providers as necessary.
- Record Details of the Accident: If you’re safe and able to do so, record vital details of the scene. Get the contact information of other parties, witnesses, and emergency responders. Take photos of the scene. These can strengthen your case.
- Make a Report: Make all the appropriate reports. Don’t forget to report the incident to your insurance company, especially if it was an auto accident. We also recommend requesting copies of any police reports.
- Meet With a Lawyer: As soon as you’re able, seek legal help from a seasoned lawyer. The statute of limitations may be up quicker than you think, so it’s important to seek out legal counsel right away.
Does Working With a Lawyer Mean Going to Court?
We often associate meeting a lawyer with sitting in court for days on end. However, this isn’t the reality for most clients at Miskin Law. While we certainly aren’t afraid to litigate, we settle the majority of cases out of court. AT least 95% of personal injury lawsuits never see trial. We can often achieve a beneficial outcome through mediation and other strategies.
Can I Sue for Slip and Fall Injuries?
Slip and fall injuries are the most common reasons to sue for personal injury. According to Canadian law, property owners have a duty of care to anyone who steps onto their property. A lawsuit may be viable if you’re injured due to one of the following:
- Icy, snowy driveways
- Unsafe conditions inside a home
- Spills and slipping hazards inside a business
- Loose or uneven floorboards
- Major potholes or cracks
- Exposed wiring
- Rickety staircases
How Long Do Claims Take?
Every case is different. While some personal injury suits are straightforward and wrap up relatively quickly, others take longer. The length of your claim will depend on who you’re suing and the complexity of your case. When you consult with the team at Miskin Law, we can discuss methods for shortening the legal process.
We received a 100% of our claims
"My Dad was diagnosed with Mesothelioma last year and passed away in December. We chose Miskin Law to help with my father's claim against a number of Asbestos Trusts. Daniel and his team were extraordinarily companionate, professional and responsive. We received a 100% of our claims. This has secured a future for our Mom and justice for our Dad. If you have a family member who has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma, call Miskin Law immediately. Don't consider anyone else."
“I would recommend Daniel Miskin and his staff as they are extremely experienced and take care of everything. We’ve had nothing but positive response from them. It’s a difficult time and when you have enough on your plate it’s nice to have such a competent firm representing you. The best.”
Down to Earth
“Murray from Miskin Law was down to earth. He was able to meet on a common ground and not make me feel stupid.”
“They were just like the average person. They didn't act like they were superior, they acted like they were your friend.”
Honest and Trustworthy
“I would say, Murray is honest, and most trustworthy. He has an excellent staff, they are always very accommodating, kind and sensitive to your needs.”
“The only thing that I think Miskin Law can do to improve their services is add a coffee machine, that says a lot about how good they are.”
“I highly recommend Miskin Law Firm, their loyalty, dedication and commitment is unparalleled! Excellent Mesothelioma compensation lawyers!”
“Very helpful at a very difficult time. I highly recommend this law firm. Daniel was very helpful and courteous.”
“Good experience dealing with an established firm like Miskin Law. Shannon, the estate specialist, was especially great to deal with.”
Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
"Daniel and his team did an excellent job in assisting my family with understand and obtaining trust dollars for my dads Mesothelioma. Daniel was always professional, quick to reply and respond and very friendly and compassionate during a difficult time. Highly recommended."
223 Kent St W, Lindsay, ON K9V 2Z1, Canada
351 Charlotte St, Peterborough, ON K9J 2W1, Canada
223 Brock St N, Whitby, ON L1N 4H6, Canada